Kids always do best when they are interested in what they are asked to talk about. But every child has different interests, and therein lies the challenge – selecting awesome speech topics that kids will want to talk about.
A few points you want to consider:
- If the topic is too “adult,” they may be too young to cope with what they find.
- If the topic is too simplistic, their growing sense of awareness may be stunted.
- Keep in mind the goal of the speech – do you want to educate, to entertain, to express ideas, or something else?
- Consider topic that suits child’s character: someone who has an extensive imagination won’t like the same topics as someone who is more factual and practical.
Here is a broad range of speech topics for kids you can choose from.
Family and Friends
- Why I love my mom and dad
- Funny things my parents say
- Let me tell you about my imaginary friend
- Things that really happen at grandma’s house when mom and dad aren’t there
- Secrets my mom does all day when I’m not around
- What my brother/sister thinks of me
- What my dad does in the bathroom for all that time
- If I had a choice between getting money or spending time with my family, I would choose…
- What did I do for my mom last mother’s day
- Let me tell you about my family
- My family’s traditions
- Original projects to surprise my parents on Mother’s Day (in the Spring) and Father’s Day (often marked in June).
- Where we went on vacation/holiday with my family
- What is my favorite song
- My favorite band or singer, and one of his or her greatest hits I would like to play with some clarification.
- The best fairy tale, or a variation child speech topic can be a cartoon character.
- My favorite season of the year is…
- My favourite time of day or week.
- The funniest April Fool’s Day joke.
- 5 of my favorite words
- Top favorite Christmas song of all times
- 3 favorite things to buy at the market
- If I went to my favorite restaurant I would order…
- Mom and my favorite place to visit is..
- My favorite thing about summer
- What my favorite pizza toppings are
- My favorite New Year’s tradition
- Favorite sundae toppings
- The most delicious meal I’ve ever had
- If I built the ultimate sandwich, it would have…
- The worst vegetable on the planet
- How many things can you make with a potato
- Describe the flavors of Thanksgiving foods
- One thing I know how to cook is…
- The contents of your lunch box.
- Different ways to eat an apple
- Why I don’t care about the “Five second rule”
- I don’t like to eat … Fill in something you dislike
- A day in the life as a fly
- What my dog is thinking
- What would it be like if dinosaurs roamed the Earth?
- My dream mythical creature for a pet would be…
- If I could talk to animals…
- What do cows think about
- How do animals talk to each other
- How to care for your pets, the right way
- What rights should animals have?
- What different wild animals have I seen
- How penguins live on Antarctica and only there and not on the North Pole (besides the zoo of course)
- A day at the wildlife sea aquarium, with dolphins, sharks, whales and seals.
- How kangaroos care for their children.
- What birds visit your backyard at home
- How do rainbows work
- What planet would I visit if I had my own rocket ship
- Why the sky is blue
- How are stars made
- Where do clouds come from?
- Where babies come from
- What outer space is like
- Why do the leaves on trees change color in the fall
- How water is so important
- What makes the Sun so bright
- How do boats float
- Why do we have dreams when we sleep
- Why are eyes different colors
- What makes the world go ’round
- How do planes fly
- The stars, black holes, galaxies and the interstellar medium in our cosmos
- Biggest birthday wish
- Best indoor winter activities
- Coolest superhero power
- If I was the President of the U.S….
- My dream vacation
- If I were a character in a book, I would be…
- Why I’m on Santa’s nice/naughty list
- The inside scoop on __________
- If I could change one thing about the world, it would be…
- How I really feel about seeing the doctor
- The best part about holidays
- If I had three wishes, they would be…
- If I were famous, it would be for my…
- My secret life as a spy
- My best invention
- Fun games to play on long car rides
- Silly songs I know
- In my dream house, there would be…
- The best part about being sick
- Why the tooth fairy must be real
- What my name means
- Disney World: the first person I’d want to see is…
- If I was the author of a book, I’d write about…
- The charity I’m going to donate to when I’m older is…
- What happiness means to me
- The best thing about me is…
- If I could be a character in any video game, it would be…
- How I care for the environment every day
- Why are farmers important
- What I want to be for Halloween next year
- What I want to be when I grow up
- Why best friends are so special
- If I was a princess or prince, I would …
- My toys, dolls or mini racing cars collection.
- My trip to Disney World or other resort.
- How I decorate my room at home.
- My biggest adventure.
- Good kid games online.
- Nice birthday presents you like to get.
- What you could do without television or video.
- Foreign hollidays we do not celebrate.
- Things – food or scary situations – that make you sick.
- What is more important: Doing what’s right or being popular
- The best memory I can remember
- Who I was named after
- What it would be like to meet an alien
- My greatest fear
- The happiest day of my life
- Something I have done that I am proud of
- What adult in my life do I look up to the most
- How to plan a surprise party
- A day at the beach
- The coolest toy I have
- What I know about (insert sport)
- Vampires or werewolves?
- Steps to drawing a flower
- If I re-wrote the story, “The Little Mermaid” or “Bambi” it would go like this…
- How to make a snowman
- The strangest place I’ve ever been
- Are table manners really important
- Tell a myth or legend about your future self
- The coolest art/craft I’ve ever made
- If I were in charge, the rules I would make would be…
If you are selecting a topic together, sit down with your child and read through this list together and make your own list of which topics stood out to your child. Suggest alternatives or adaptations to some topics. The goal is to get their juices flowing. You want this to be a choice that they are comfortable with.
Help them decide by reminding them who their audience will be and what the occasion is. This will help determine what is appropriate and what the audience will want to hear. Your child probably wouldn’t want to talk about Barbie at a formal function or to an audience of mostly boys.
All that’s left to do is prepare and practice, because we all know – practice makes perfect!
Can We Write Your Speech?
Get your audience blown away with help from a professional speechwriter.
Free proofreading and copy-editing included.