The fear of public speaking is something that a lot of people share. It’s usually named as one of the most common fears that people have. Believe it or not, the best way to conquer a fear of public speaking is to just do it—a lot. Because the more you do it, the easier it gets. Eventually, you’ll start to get a little more comfortable and it’s not a problem anymore. Believe it or not, you might actually start to enjoy it. This is one reason why it’s important for children and adolescents to give speeches in school.
In this article:
The 2-Minute Speech
A 2-minute speech is a great way to ease into public speaking which is why it’s commonly used in the classroom. It’s short. It’s fast. It gives everyone in the class a chance to participate.
One thing that can help get young children and teens over their initial nervousness is to give them an interesting topic to talk about. Sometimes, it can be something that they genuinely have an interest in and might be excited to give a speech on. Or it can be something funny to help them break through their nervousness.
Topics for young children should be fun, simple, and something they can easily come up with on their own. You don’t want to give them a topic that is too difficult or requires too much preparation. Let’s face it, they’re going to be really nervous. The focus should be learning how to cope with speaking in front of a group comfortably and effectively, not necessarily on the content, subject, or topic.
Topics for teenagers and high school ESL students can be a little more personal or in depth but still needs to be a demonstrative speech, motivational speech, persuasive speech topic, an informative speech topic, or a funny impromptu speech in order to captivate the audience. Depending on the subject of the class where the student is giving the speech, the topic can loosely relate to whatever is being taught. That said, it’s important to remember that teenagers are also going to be nervous—in some cases, very nervous. Perhaps even more so than younger children because teenagers tend to worry more about what other people will think and are very concerned with fitting in.
Choosing the topic is important, especially for a 2-minute speech and will help with student progress. However, there is no point in giving a talk on Donald Trump for a few minutes if you don’t know anything about him. But don’t worry, we have some great ideas.
Can We Write Your Speech?
Get your audience blown away with help from a professional speechwriter.
Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
List of 2-Minute Speech Topics
- My Favorite Animal
- My Favorite Stuffed Animal
- The Best Toy Ever
- My Favorite Food for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
- Something I Love To Do for Fun
- How to Build with Lego
- The Best Day of My Life
- The Smartest Cartoon Character
- The Worst Chore
- The Best Cookie
- The Best Place to Go in Summer
- How to Eat an Apple
- Why Is the Sky Blue?
- If I Had a Superpower
- A New Rule I Would Make
- My Favorite Cereal
- What Is the Best Letter of the Alphabet?
- Is Summer Better than Winter?
- When I Grow Up
- Best Thing to Do at Recess
- How to Eat Pancakes
- Pizza Crust: Yes or No?
- A Time I was Brave
- The Greatest Animal on the Farm
- My Favorite T-Shirt
- The Funniest Thing to Do with My Mom/Dad
- What Is the Best Pet?
- Who is My Hero?
- If I Had $100
- The Best Thing about A Farm
- Where Do Rainbows Come From?
- Why I Like Being the Oldest/Youngest Sibling
- How to Have Fun in the Rain
- The Best Thing about October
- The Grossest Pizza Topping
- The Hardest Thing I Ever Did
- Sandwiches: With or Without Crusts
- The Tastiest Fruit
- The Best Thing That Is the Color Red/Blue/Orange
- When I Learned to Tie My Shoes
- Creamy or Chunky Peanut Butter
- Why Does It Rain?
- What Is Thunder?
- Crayons or Markers: Which Are Better?
- How to Make Peanut Butter and Jelly
- The Best Thing about Having a Dog/Cat
- My Halloween Costume
- When I Learned to Ride a Bike
- My Best Friend
- How to Pick a Book to Read
- The Best Thing about My Mom/Dad/Sister/Brother
- My Favorite Ice Cream Flavor
- My Favorite Animal at the Zoo
- What Is the Best Color Apple?
- Ketchup On Your French Fries: Yes or No
- Teaching Grandma to Use a Smartphone
- How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
- Would You Rather Use Textbooks or Tablets in Class?
- How to Effectively Fake Being Sick
- The Most Annoying Thing my Mom/Dad Ever Did
- Prom: Yay or Nay?
- The Biggest Lesson I Have Learned
- If Time Travel Were Real
- The Stupidest Rule My Parents Have
- A Much Needed Invention
- Why I Love/Hate Vampires
- The Best Book I’ve Ever Read
- How to Tell a Fact from an Opinion
- Explaining Snapchat to Your Parents
- The Best App on My Phone
- Three Things I Can’t Live without
- The Best Lifehack I Ever Heard
- How Do I Feel when My Cell Battery is at 10%?
- The Best Advice I Ever Got
- My Favorite Sandwich
- My Dream Car
- What I’m Dreading about College
- Facebook vs. Twitter
- How Social Media Makes my Life Better/Worse
- How to Compose the Perfect Tweet
- My Favorite Snapchat Filter
- Best Member of my Favorite Band
- Greatest Song Lyrics of All Time
- Is there Value in Homework?
- Should School Start Later?
- Naps: Yay or Nay?
- iPhone vs. Android
- My Biggest Fear
- My After School Job
- Things I Could Have Done Instead of Preparing this Speech
- Pineapple on Pizza
- Best Toppings for a Burger
- If I Could Only Listen to One Song for the Rest of My Life
- How I Got my Driver’s License
- Why Video Games Are Good
- One Movie I Still Love from When I Was Little
- The First Thing I Ever Bought for Myself
- The Worst Superpower
- The Most Disgusting Household Chore
- If I Could Eat Only One Food for the Rest of My Life
- Spotify vs. Pandora
- Best Song to Listen to When Feeling Happy/Sad
- Bad Date Ideas
- The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made
- My Favorite Instagram Filter
- Texting or Calling?
- If I Had $1,000
- Something That Scares Me about Graduating
- How to Ask Someone On a Date
- My Favorite T-Shirt
2 Minute Speech Topics: 4 Illustrations
Speech: Cons of the War in Iraq
|Main Point I
|Too many American troops and Iraqi civilians are killed. Time to build up the country with the help of the locals.
|The final cost of the combats are sky high and we are not able to collect those billions of dollars back. Even when we could rely on oil revenues and pay back sessions of the International Monetary Fund.
|The integrity and the world opinion of the USA is at risk if we stay. Our efforts ought to aspire sustaining democray in that nation and assist in democratic values and constituencies.
Speech: Teleworking Is a Win-Win Solution
|Main Point I
|Reduces traffic jams in the early days of the week, and at the end of working hours at our main roads.
|Reduces transportation pollution; as there are less passenger vehicles and heavy lorries on the road that leaven CO2 emissions.
|No late or non-arrival of employees any more. It saves society billions of dollars in terms of productivity and road maintenance.
|Reduces child day care costs when both parents are hurrying and rushing.
|More time when urgently needed for family matters, like loving, caring, gaming, experiencing what is the cloud and so on.
Speech: Political Term Limits – An Evil Necessity
|Avoid too much power in the same office of a small group of people in the long term.
|Nerds and totally incapable whimps will leave the stage after the limit.
|Career bureaucrats, media elites and professional lobby interest groups will replaced.
Speech: Online Casino Offers Are Dangerous
|Getting your winner money after you cash out is a very slow traject.
|No form of appeal against in case of a dispute about the game or rules.
|It’s very addicting and only a few people can resist the desire to try over and over again to win lost money back.
|Your credit card balance will drop down in a snap.
|There is much more to tell about bad experiences with online casino offers, dive back into your own past perhaps …