Debates are a great way to gain knowledge, develop critical thinking, and improve communication skills, among other things. Although debating is valuable in and of itself, sometimes the topic you choose can make or break a discussion. That’s why choosing an engaging issue is crucial when you’re tasked with organizing a debate.
But some situations, such as when you’re warming up for a big debate, call for a more light-hearted dialog. Discussing global warming or the death penalty may be enlightening for everyone involved, but it may also create a somber atmosphere when what you’re looking for is a mood booster.
That’s where fun and interesting debate topics come in. We’ve compiled a catalog of such questions to help you prepare for your debate class or any other classroom debate.
In this article:
Why Choose a Funny Debate Topic?
Humor is a great way to connect with others. Needless to say, it’s also a lot of fun. Relying on funny topics almost guarantees you’ll engage both your audience and participants.
But you might be worried that a fun debate may be too silly to bring any value to the discussion, or develop any of your rhetorical skills. And while you’ll want to choose a fun debate topic with care, they have a lot to offer any debating venue. Posing a funny question doesn’t exclude the possibility of a heated debate because humor is just an extra attribute of debatable topics. A good topic can raise spirits and stir up other emotions at the same time. It can even be controversial (if that’s what you’re looking for, check out our page dedicated to funny controversial topics).
121 of the Funniest Debate Topics
So if you’re looking for a fun and engaging issue to discuss, browse through our lists below and take your pick!
Can We Write Your Speech?
Get your audience blown away with help from a professional speechwriter.
Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Universal Funny Debate Topics
To start, we’ve put together a list of funny topics from across the board. Below you’ll find questions related to everything from time travel to hot dogs. The only connection these issues have with each other is that they are all two-parts funny and three-parts thought provoking.
- Do men gossip more than women?
- Are women more complicated than men?
- Would the world be a better place if women were in charge?
- Are there any advantages to being a man over a woman or vice versa?
- Is the age difference between two partners important in adult relationships?
- Would you rather be poor and honest or rich and dishonest?
- Would you rather be the main superhero or the sidekick?
- Would you rather travel 100 years forward or back in time?
- Would you rather be able to fly or read people’s minds?
- If you could have one superpower, which one would you choose?
- Would you rather be deaf or blind?
- Which came first? The chicken or the egg?
- Is it OK to ask the genie for infinite wishes?
- Would you rather be a ninja or a pirate?
- Is it possible for a boss and a subordinate to be good friends?
- Are humans meant to eat to live or live to eat?
- Is social media making us more connected or just making it easier for people to stalk each other?
- Is Twitter creating a toxic culture or helping us stay connected?
- Is it better to be TikTok famous or Instagram famous?
- Should Facebook add a ‘dislike’ button?
- Is iOS better than Android?
- Is DC better than Marvel?
- Is Coca-Cola better than Pepsi?
- Are hotdogs sandwiches?
- Are square pizza slices better than triangles?
- Is the law too easy on celebrities?
- Which is the best Star Wars character?
- Are books better than movies?
- Does intelligent alien life exist?
- Is Friends better than How I Met Your Mother?
- What’s the best television show of all time?
- Is beauty more important than brains?
- Is rock n roll better than hip hop?
- Are introverts too quiet, or are extroverts too loud?
- Which is the real football – soccer or American football?
- Is music getting better or worse over time?
Funny Debate Topics for College Students
What’s the best way to grab the attention of college students? Beer pong? Well, that’s one option, but it’s out of our jurisdiction. To keep university students engaged in a debate, it may work best to give them a relatable topic – something that has to do with their life in college!
- Would you rather be good at exams or good at sports?
- Is finals week too stressful for students?
- Are graduation ceremonies too boring?
- Are college degrees overrated?
- Which is a more valuable degree – medicine or engineering?
- Is STEM education more valuable than training in humanities?
- Is there any point in having a business degree?
- Have college campuses become too ‘woke’?
- Should every campus have a ‘safe space’?
- Should dorms be mixed gender?
- Is spring break overrated?
- Should alcohol be allowed in dorms?
- Are college students drinking too much alcohol?
- Is it better to be one of the “jocks” or one of the “nerds”?
- Are athletic scholarships giving an unfair advantage to some students?
- Is cheerleading a sport?
Fun Debate Topics for High School
High school years come with many questions, as young adults become less and less inclined to believe everything they’re told, start to look at the world more critically, and begin to have experiences away from the family. Naturally, many of the issues that grab this demographic’s attention have to do with the high school experience.
- Should students be banned from using smartphones in class?
- Should teens be allowed to get tattoos?
- Is cheating on a test ever justifiable?
- Should teachers be required to wear a school uniform?
- Is peer pressure doing more harm than good?
- Should yearbook quotes be funny or serious?
- Is it important to have an expensive prom outfit?
- Is it important to have a prom date?
- Should schools hold beauty pageants?
- Is the Barbie doll a good role model for young girls?
- Is there any point in going back to in-person learning after the pandemic?
- Should school lockers be considered students’ personal space?
- Should high school students wear whatever they want to school?
- Are movies creating an unrealistic idea of what high school is like?
- Is there too much pressure on high school students to pick a career path?
Funny Debate Topics for Middle School
Middle school is a great time to start developing debate skills. Like most abilities that bud during this period, the experience is likely to stay with students well into adulthood and serve them in settings beyond debate class. Here are some funny and relatable topics for this age group that are bound to spark a stimulating discussion.
- Are smartphones making students smarter or dumber?
- Are video games making children smarter?
- Are video games harmful to students’ health?
- Should children be allowed to keep secrets from parents?
- Should students be allowed to skateboard or roller skate in school?
- Do parents have a right to spy on their children?
- Should students be able to give their teachers grades?
- Are the things students learn in math class ever going to come in handy?
- Should junk food be banned in schools?
- Can computers ever replace teachers?
- Are zoo visits valuable for education, or should children just watch animal videos on YouTube?
- Are boarding schools helping students learn?
- Is Harry Potter better than Lord of the Rings?
- If Harry Potter magic existed, would it be ethical to use it?
- Do nursery rhymes contain hidden messages?
Fun Debate Topics for Elementary Students
It’s often hard to hold the attention of elementary school students for long. One of the best ways to keep them engaged is to let them chime in. And what better way to encourage them to take part than posing a fun question they care about?
- Should homework be banned?
- Is there any point in teaching handwriting in school?
- Should children be allowed to bring toys to school?
- Should children be paid to go to school?
- Should kids have longer recess?
- Should kids go outside during recess?
- Should kids be forced to get up early for school?
- Should kids be allowed to talk during class?
- Should children be allowed to eat during class?
- Should schoolchildren save part of their allowance or spend it all?
- Should teachers reward students with ice cream for good behavior?
- Should teachers play cartoons during class?
Fun Debate Topics for Kids
Young children are unburdened by preconceived notions, so they often catch us by surprise with their ability to bring a fresh perspective to any matter. Still, it might not be very productive to ask them about the current stock market volatility. Instead, you can raise an issue that they understand and deal with daily.
- Is winter better than summer?
- Is fall better than spring?
- Do dogs dream?
- Are cats better pets than dogs?
- Are children smarter than adults?
- Are clowns funny or scary?
- Is it better to be a single child or have siblings?
- Would you choose to live forever if you had the option?
- Should kids be allowed to watch as much TV as they like?
- Should kids be allowed to play outside as much as they want?
- Is going out better than staying home?
- Should every child be allowed to have a pet?
- Is ice cream better than cake?
- Should parents give their children chores at home?
- Should parents pay their children for doing chores?
- Should parents force their children to make their beds?
- Which is better – being really tall or being really short?
Looking for a more serious debate topic? Check out our page with 300+ debate topics organized by subject matter.