Interesting speech topics guide, including seven ways to find, and refine and precise some good subjects in the speechwriter’s process.
The most asked question I get almost every day from students is this:
What makes a topic interesting?
Well, the answer is simple. You have to like it yourself, the subject has to be appropriate to the rules of the assignment, to the audience and the setting of the meeting:
In this article:
How To Find An Interesting Topic
1 – Look in magazines, journals, and newspapers for events.
Current or historical, that does not matter at this point, both are okay – and recent engaging and exciting facts, and perhaps valuable information that attracts the attention.
Articles about subjects that interests you and that are comfortable for you to talk about are good indications.
2 – Jot down any possible idea that comes up for interesting speech topics. I always draft a short list for myself of candidate issues if I am contracted for a public speaking engagement.
And then I skip the ones that are too difficult and too complex to prepare and master in 8 to 10 minutes time.
3 – Review some online books on the subject for more detailed current information about your topic. Or go to a library and ask for books and reference articles about your subject.
Without exception, all librarians I know will help you sorting out the speechwriter subject with their advice and recommendations. For example you choose for an alluring pleasure physical activity or farming and countryside topic.
Try to understand how the author has covered it. What’s his structure? What points, information or arguments are the strongest? What examples and illustrations has she or he used?
4 – Peerless reliable statistics and new discoveries can help writing and refining.
Look for controversies, rare and strange opinions. What do you think of it? What do you want your audience to think of it?
5 – Think about related engaging interpretive hints to talk about. When you view your rough list, try to find new points, different angles of view or just turn your thoughts upside down. Look at the special aspects that surprise the listeners.
>>> For example try these 2 more detailed summary outlines with main points and subpoints. Use my sample structure to add or otherwise wipe steps and stages you do not need.
>>> In addition to these patterns, you find more ideas for outlined main points in my Minute Section (in the navigation menu bar right on your left of this portal page). Or move straight to sixty plus lineups for speechwriters.
That can be very enlighting for enhancing public discernment. They also can see, feel, or even taste and smell what you try to explain or demonstrate in a couple of minutes.
6 – Look for supporting and also for opposing opinions, plus interesting speech topics statements. Add visual aids where you want to emphasize or to give some prominence to an unimaginable point in your interesting topic idea.
7 – Watch news shows, history documentaries and debating programs – for example, the morning shows and the evening news. They are especially helpful for developing a rough list of wheedling brainstorms.
Interesting Speech Topic Examples
- Beauty is not only in the eye of the beholder.
- Hyper active kids don’t need medication.
- Books are always better than the movie.
- Pick up lines do work.
- Televise all court proceedings.
- Suspend referees that are found to show too much bias.
- There is no place for monarchs any more.
- It is false that no one is above the law.
- You tube needs to monitor comments.
- Online friends show more compassion.
- Cross cultural couples respect each other more.
- Graffiti must be recognised as art.
- You can loose weight without exercising.
- Children don’t play enough.
- Carpets are harmful and shouldn’t be in homes.
- Sex education doesn’t work.
- Ban smoking in all public places.
- Women cheat just as much as men.
- Prohibit destruction of rainforests.
- Global warming is a myth.
- Justice is never the same for all.
- Video games are not the blame of violence at school.
- Financial rewards is the only way employees stay loyal.
- The world isn’t only black and white.
- Give girls over 16 contraceptives without parents consent.
- Calories should be included in restaurant menus.
- Sugar tax won’t reduce obesity.
- Pregnancy as a result of rape should be terminated.
- All couples must live together before getting married.
- Animal testing is necessary.
- Children’s beauty pageants are wrong.
- There are not enough cameras in public spaces.
- Freedom of speech rights needs to be rewritten.
- Random DUI test should be done on parents picking up children after school.
- Atheists are more peaceful than religious people.
- Heterosexual men and women can be just friends.
- Adoptive parents need maternity leave too.
- Print advertisements don’t work.
- Click bate headlines are the cause of less followers.
- Don’t give children allowances.
- Stop checking in on social media.
- There would be more divorces if couples didn’t have children.
- Compensate organ donors.
- Celebrities are not role models.
- Do drug tests on welfare recipients.
- Stem cell research is murder.
- People should be considered adults at 21.
- Religion is the cause of war.
- Life was not easier a century ago.
- Men are better forgivers.
- Making substances illegal only makes people want them more.
- Parenting classes must be compulsory.
- Helicopter parents are damaging their children.
- Give working moms special privileges.
- Social media fame is a scam.
- Make paparazzi photographing children a criminal offence.
- Food should never be seen as a reward.
- 6 Hours is not enough sleep for an adult.
- People can live without eating meat.
- Curfews do not keep teens out of trouble.
- Electronic textbooks don’t have the same impact as the printed version.
- This generation cannot fix anything.
- Boredom always leads to trouble.
- Girls are too mean to each other.
- Affirmative action isn’t right.
- School system is responsible for low test scores.
- Men should get paternity leave.
- Fast food needs to come with more warnings.
- Killing a murderer is immoral.
- Famous people must stay away from politics.
- Long distance relationships do work.
- Men are the stronger sex.
- Jobs shouldn’t be gender specific.
- Religion won’t die away.
- Women shouldn’t give birth after 40.
- Abortion is murder.
- Tattoos are an addiction.
- Drug addiction is a choice.
- Social media will run it’s course and die out.
- Caesarian sections are safer than normal births.
- There is a connection between science and religion.
- Never pay children for good grades.
- People in open marriages are not happy.
- The soul does exist.
- Peoples salaries should reflect their performances.
- English will always be the business language of the world.
- Why you should always put yourself first.
- Earth has not been explored properly.
- Women are more intelligent than they give away.
- Alternatives to evolution exist.
Topics with Outline
Need a topic for your speech about an interesting persuasion statement?
Here are some of the best speech ideas and two easy informative subjects you can alter into a firm convincing claim.
Need other attracting ideas?
Check the navbar on the left and you will find thousands of special hints and tips for your public presentation 🙂
1. Whistleblower Protection Is Not Effective
- Whistleblower laws don’t protect against reprisals, disciplinary measures and spin from superiors.
- Huge companies have enough money to buy legal advice for a long period, laws offer employees no financial shield.
- Legislation often doesn’t address the issue itself, the problem, the allegations often are not investigated.
Another topic for your speech on business could be on fair trade:
2. Is Fair Trade Really Fair?
- Protectionism and markets are often stronger than fair trade appointments.
- Buying products is subsidizing poor farmers and manufacturers in developing countries. It isn’t helping them to make them stronger.
- It is anti-competitive and it undermines the economy in Third World nations.
And what do you think of this explosive persuasive topic for your speech?
3. Nuclear Power Is Dangerous Stuff
- An accident could cause thousands of fatalities and for billions of dollars property damage.
- There is no proper technology to handle radioactive waste material.
- Health risks for people working in the plant and for those who are living nearby could not be foreseen in advance and certainly not at the long term.
- Costs of nuclear plant safety measurements are very high.
And now two informative suggestions for a topic for your speech. But you easily transform them into some of the best speech ideas for persuasion speeches:
4. Checklist Before Taking A New Job
- A bigger company means more interesting job and task opportunities.
- It makes it possible to extend your existing network of trusted contacts.
- Like to travel abroad? Is it a Yes or No?
- How about the probability that you will keep your job – in other words what about the job security? What are the hidden clues?
- Is there a chance you can make you professional dreams and personal goals come true?
- How about the pay? Get all salary information, and decide on how much you want to earn from the start.
- Are there other requirements? Some personal wishes you would like to fulfill?
5. The Advantages Of Working In The Night
- No disturbing by telephone.
- No traffic jam.
- Not being awakened by the alarm clock in early morning hours …
You can think about the disadvantages too … Approach this subject from different sides and you double your opportunities!