This page has hundreds of topics for informative speeches and essays, and we are continually updating our list. If you’re stumped for ideas, use this list of informative topics as a starting point to find a subject that interests you enough to speak or write about. With this guide, you can more quickly make a decision and get to writing your informational essay or speech. You may also check out our list of argumentative, controversial, and persuasive topics for more informative topic ideas.
How to Choose the Right Informative Topic
Half the battle of presenting a speech or writing an essay is choosing the right topic. Choosing a good informative speech topic or informative essay topic can keep your audience entertained, your reader interested, and your own work process more enjoyable. Here are a few tips to help you choose a topic:
Know your audience or reader: Your informative presentation – whether through speech or essay – should cover a subject not already well known to your audience, but still relevant to them. If you do choose a topic they’re familiar with, then present new and exciting information. Consider the age, knowledge level, and interests of your audience when preparing your informational speech or essay.
Consider your own interests: Think of your own passions and areas of expertise that you think people could benefit from learning more about. Choosing a topic you care about will help your speech or essay be better received. Your passion will keep them engaged and curious to learn more.
Consider length requirements: How much time are you allotted for your informative speech? What is the page requirement for your informative essay? You should be able to thoroughly cover the topic in the amount of time you are given. If you don’t think you have enough knowledge or personal interest to talk about illegal drug use among teens, saving money as a college student, or another informative topic for 20 minutes, you may need to consider a different subject.
The good news is that there are countless options available. Below are lists of informative topics for speeches and essays. Remember that, in order to choose the best informative topic for you, you need to consider your audience, your interests, and your time and length requirements. Then, customize the central idea to suit your situation.
List of Informative Speech Topics
- Current Events
- Food and Drink
- International Relations
- National Security
- Easy / Simple
- Pop Culture
- The role of cats throughout history.
- Caring for hermit crabs.
- What are the best pets?
- The lives of ants.
- The different types of tropical fish.
- The different exotic breeds of cats.
- How to raise rabbits.
- The beauty of wolves.
- How to adopt a dog.
- Raising pet snakes.
See this page for a full list of Speech Topics About Animals.
- Is it better to buy or lease a car?
- How to choose the right tires for your car.
- How to make your car run better.
- What to look for in a new car.
- How to change your car’s oil.
- Dirt bike riding safety tips.
- How to drive a stick shift.
- The history of motorcycles.
- How to change a flat tire.
- The best muscle cars.
- Taking your brand to the next level with three easy steps: promoting, advertising and marketing.
- How business owners’ personal characteristics impact their business.
- What is the impact of training and development on employee job performance?
- Leadership styles and their effects on employee productivity.
- Engaged employees result in high retention.
- Developing personal power in an organization.
- Impacts of incentives on employee performance.
- Psychological tactics in marketing.
- How to create a successful brand.
- The importance of accounting research.
- The benefits of enterprise resource planning.
- The benefits of multilevel marketing.
- The best sales tactics.
- How to nail the negotiation in your first meeting.
See this page for a full list of Informative Speech Topics for Business.
- How deaf people talk with emotion.
- The differences between male and female communication.
- How to be a persuasive speaker.
- How to improve your conversation skills.
- Some simple conversation tips.
- What is neural linguistic programming (NLP)?
- Why smiles are contagious.
- How to manage communicative disorders.
- America’s fastest growing cities.
- The Occupy Wall Street movement.
- Poverty in New York City.
- What is the national happiness rate?
- The history of taxes on carbon dioxide emissions.
- What would be the impact on economic growth if everyone produced their own food?
- The impact of progressive taxation on the provision of social services.
- Economic growth of the People’s Republic of China.
- The effects of price and demand of agricultural products.
- The importance of education for the economy.
- How EFL teachers can use the internet as a classroom aid.
- Should teachers and students be friends on social networks?
- Why is our education system only based on theory and not practical knowledge?
- Should students be permitted to eat during classes?
- The importance of formal education for building a successful career.
- The pros and cons of teaching students three languages in school.
- What materials work best in a sandbag for blocking floodwaters?
- Hypnosis: its misconceptions and common uses.
- Learning disabilities and their effects on learning in college.
- Are test scores a good indication of a school’s competency?
See this page for a full list of Informative Persuasive Speech Topics.
- Should politicians bring more pollution to our country?
- What would happen if finite resources were not used wisely?
- Four main reasons for generating genetically modified crops.
- The effect of organic and inorganic fertilizer on maize.
- Are we going to lose the rainforest?
- The best ways to protect the environment.
- Commercial crops and their effect on the water table.
- The environmental impact of a meat based diet.
- Recycling helps mitigate the greenhouse effect.
- Why we should stop global warming.
See this page for a full list of Environmental Informative Speech Topics.
- Is it sometimes better to tell a lie than to tell the truth?
- Is tolerance the same as love?
- Is hunting morally acceptable?
- Adopted children should always have the option to see their biological parents.
- The impact of single parenting and its effects on children.
- The appropriate penalties for parental negligence.
- What it is like being the youngest of a family of 19 kids.
- The importance of the parent-child relationship.
- My father is my hero.
- How to pick a name for your children.
- Cases of domestic violence against men.
- The importance of family.
- The history of foster care.
- How banks are getting paid twice for your mortgage.
- How to save money in college.
- How to build credit.
- How to save money on your income taxes.
- How to apply for a credit card.
- The basics of financial aid.
- The importance of saving money.
- How to recognize stock market trends.
- The process of buying a house.
- The basics of internet banking safety.
- The best investment strategies.
- How to live on $5 a day/ Eating well on $5 a day.
- Tips on how do deal with money problems.
- The history of our currency.
- How the US Dollar affects the Euro.
- Debt relief programs.
- Does China have a serious stock market?
- Different stages of poverty
Food and Drink
- The difference between Gatorade and Powerade.
- How to cook a delicious dinner.
- How to grow your own food.
- The different types of coffee.
- How to cook vegetarian.
- How to make a cocktail.
- The best types of cheese.
- The best exotic fruits.
- How to make Chinese food.
See this page for a full list of Speech Topic Ideas On Food, Drink, and Cooking.
- The history of Valentine’s Day, the celebrations in different cultures.
- Some laugh, but there are many courageous people who overcome stuttering.
- Funny Saint Patricks Day parades, pub decorating, Irish fun runs.
- Differences between apes and monkeys, monkeys in space programs, how they live in groups in the zoo.
- Your hand: what your signature, handwriting and your hand palm lines say about your character.
- Amphibian vehicles – search for information about those rare car-boat vehicles, and you have lots of fun informative speech topics to talk about!
- Cartoons in relation to our Freedom of Speech and Expression principles.
- Show the listeners to your public speaking speech some flags of unknown countries, ask them what nation you mean and explain colors and symbols.
- The extraterrestrial life stories and future theories from French author Jules Verne.
- Etiquette and manners, how to cope with special situations, how to behave at official ceremonies you see enough public speaking speeches spicing humor.
- Fashion styles and dress codes at parties and ceremonies.
See this page for a full list of Fun Informative Speech Topics.
- The antipodes – Places on Earth which are diametrically opposite to each other.
- Cartography – How terrestrial globe spheres are crafted.
- Climatology – Patterns in climate change, like rising temperatures and flooding.
- Coasts – Types of coasts, deltas, sea cliffs and beaches.
- What does the continental drift theory mean in vulcanology?
See this page for a full list of Speech Topics On Geography.
- The role of accounting in the control of public expenditures in Nigeria.
- What factors affect community participation in public meetings?
- How difficult is it to run a country of 1.2 billion people?
- Speeding cameras are meant to provide the government money.
- Should the President be paid while being in office?
- The Federal government’s separation of powers.
- Journalism is our weapon against corruption.
- How a bill passes in state government.
- The best city planning practices.
- Steroids, antibiotics, sprays: are these things hurting us?
- The effects of dissociative identity disorder or multiple personality disorder.
- Bigger isn’t always better: the effect fast food has on America.
- The importance of proper stretching before a workout.
- How to keep your skin looking young and wrinkle free.
- The different types of insomnia.
- The causes and effects of Alzheimer’s disease.
- The psychosocial aspects of organ transplantation.
- Controversial ideas about whooping cough vaccines.
- The reasons why stress and depression should be taken seriously.
- The beauty of ancient Egyptian art.
- The most beautiful paintings in history.
- The history of fashion.
- The history of high heels.
- The history of cosmetic makeup.
- The history of Tibetan burial practices.
- What Olympic events did ancient Greece have?
- The history of swear words and their impact on society.
- Words and their meanings that have changed with time.
- Why dragons perfom in Chinese New Year celebrations.
See this page for a full list of History Speech Topics.
- Economic development and the role of the private sector in reducing poverty in Lesotho.
- Tourism and remittances are the solution for Tonga’s economic growth.
- The military of the Philippines.
- Is South Africa ready for a female president?
- Can democracy bring stability to Pakistan?
- South Africa is an amazing country.
- The impact of U.S drone strikes.
- The discovery of oil in Equatorial Guinea.
- How to help refugees.
- Why everyone should live in China.
- The status of trade relations in East Africa.
- The effects of the Dowry system in India.
- Sri Lanka after thirty years of war.
- Why Africa is underdeveloped.
- The political system of India.
- The purpose of the United Nations.
- English is a link language for many parts of the world.
- The origins of cliches.
- Inside the mind of Edgar Allen Poe.
- How to write a book.
- The three trials of Oscar Wilde.
- The meaning of The House on Mango Street.
- The history of vampires in literature.
- The different types of poetry.
- What steps are involved in creating a movie or television show?
- How Spotify hurts new artists.
- The benefits of watching less TV.
- How the media has hurt our body image.
- Books that were turned into terrible movies.
- The benefits of reading a newspaper.
- The basics of photography.
- The history of the Titanic movie.
- Some famous advertising campaigns.
- The effects of misleading advertisements.
- Some important women in the media.
- The best foreign TV shows.
- The benefits of satellite radio.
- The best TV sitcoms.
- Al Jazeera, the largest Arabic news channel is the Middle East.
- How Disney produces and distributes short animated films.
- The amazing stage performance of Christina Aguilera.
- The love life of Jennifer Aniston,
- The story of CNN International reporter, Christiane Amanpour.
- The ten actors who played James Bond.
- Top three worst Woody Allen movies.
- The different types of marching bands.
- The history of french horns.
- The history of house music.
- The evolution of rock and roll.
- The beauty of reggae music.
- Music as a “lifestyle”.
- The best electronic dance music.
- How to play the kazoo.
- The beauty of Haitian music.
- How illegal things are smuggled into the country.
- The United States military branches.
- The importance of the Air Force.
- The branches of the military.
- Should the U.S. restrict immigration?
- The benefits of communism.
- The most important women in politics.
- Define the term foreign policy and offer current examples.
- The delicate position of women and children in war torn societies and countries on the globe.
- How issues on oil in Nigeria lift the oil prices worldwide.
- How a free trade agreement works.
- The major environmental problems in Australia.
- National gun control statistics compared to the statistics of other countries.
- The function of the Federal Reserve Board in maintaining a stable financial system.
See this page for a full list of Speech Topics about Politics.
- The benefits of greeting people.
- Positive thinking is the key to peaceful living.
- The meaning of dreams.
- How to explain child geniuses.
- Difference between empathy and sympathy.
- How to be more sensitive for an emotionally insensitive person.
- How to know a person’s true personality when we are so good at disguise nowadays.
- Secrets about quiet people.
- How to respond or take a compliment.
- Why do people lie and how to deal with that.
See this page for a full list of Psychology Speech Topics.
- How marriages today differ from marriages from the 60’s.
- The secrets of happy and successful relationships.
- How to choose the right relationship.
- How to get along with your roommate.
- The guidelines for military marriages.
- How to make long distance relationships work.
- The average age to get married.
- How to talk to people when you have nothing to say.
- How to recognize toxic friends.
- Your Brain Falls in Love Not Only Your Heart.
- Who Was and Is Cupid and Co.
- All You Wanted to Know About Engagement.
- A comparison of Genesis and Revelation in the Bible.
- Modern values are violating religious values.
- How Christ is present in our world.
- What percentage of the world’s population are Christians?
- Why worshipping Satan isn’t a bad thing.
- Why the bunny symbolizes Easter.
- God helps those who help themselves.
- A comparison of different religions.
- The history of the Christian church.
- The main principles of Christianity.
See this page for a full list of Speech Topics on Religion and Spirituality.
- The difference between an alligator and a crocodile.
- Why whales should not be hunted for food.
- Transhumanism and the evolution of the human race.
- How we can create geniuses.
- Falabella horses are the smallest in the world.
- Why is the colonization of Mars important?
- Albert Einstein’s contributions to science.
- The isolation of nicotinic acid from tobacco.
- The journey to becoming a nuclear physicist.
- Some interesting facts about the human brain.
See this page for a full list of Informative Science Speech Topics.
- The difference between boundaries and limits.
- The benefits of affirmation.
- Three goals to strive for in life.
- How to present yourself with confidence.
- Why it’s important to be yourself.
- How to manage your anger.
- How to make a good first impression.
- How to prepare for a job interview.
- Your actions determine your future.
- How to improve your conversation skills.
- How to set goals and achieve them.
- How to enhance your public speaking skills.
- How to increase your motivation.
- What makes a life meaningful?
- How to take your next big step in life.
- How to construct an argument.
- How to boost your self-esteem.
- How to be happy being single.
- How to avoid procrastination.
- How to improve your manners.
- How to be a good leader.
- The importance of a good attitude.
- How to be more romantic.
- How to break bad habits.
- How to overcome conflict.
- Happiness: The thing we all look for but never really understand.
- What it’s like to be falling in love.
- What is love and what’s not.
- Secret to resolving conflicts.
- Dancing is your secret weapon for happiness and health.
- Things to remember if you don’t want to die with any regrets.
- Schools should not make money by selling unhealthy candy and soft drinks to students.
- Music with foul language in it should not be allowed at school dances.
- Students should be able to listen to their MP3 players during class.
- Students who commit cyberbullying should be suspended or expelled from school.
- Boys and girls should be taught in separate classrooms.
- Homeschooling produces better results than public schools.
- High School will be the best time of your life.
- Boys are lazier than girls.
- All students should wear a school uniform.
- It is possible to Ace your way through High School.
See this page for a full list of School Speech Topics for All Grades.
- Why it is bad to judge people by their appearance.
- The lives of isolated indigenous people.
- How to tell someone they are annoying you without being rude.
- How human behavior affects society.
- Left handed people: the underrepresented minority group.
- Is the military a fulfilling career choice for women?
- The effects of discrimination.
- The importance of newspapers in our daily life.
- Do actors and athletes make too much money?
- Why I’m optimistic about our nation’s future.
See this page for a full list of Informative Society Speech Topics.
- Should female students be allowed to play on male sports teams?
- How to do a walking handstand or a cartwheel into the splits.
- Is netball or hockey more dangerous?
- The benefits of sports for all ages.
- Why the spelling bee shouldn’t be on ESPN.
- The worst professional sports teams.
- The importance of sports and games.
- What you should have in your golf bag.
- The history of professional fighting.
- The worst trades in sports history.
See this page for a full list of Informative Sports Speech Topics.
- The mystery of the Bermuda triangle.
- The evidence that bigfoot exists.
- The existence of telepathy.
- How roads are built.
- Is wind energy cheap, effective, and practical?
- Why college students should be careful about what they put on social media.
- The uses for artificial intelligence computer networks.
- The danger of putting too much personal information on social networks.
- Modes of communication are constantly changing.
- How has social media impacted our daily lives?
- The line between the human brain and a computer.
- Why technology is a bad thing for growing minds.
- How technology has destroyed human interaction.
- How is text messaging affecting teen literacy?
- The advantages and disadvantages of social media.
- The effects of violent video games on children.
- The decline of interpersonal communication due to technology.
- The difference between hardware and software.
- Antivirus software: beware of malware functions.
- The history of programming languages.
- How voice over IP works.
- What would we do without electricity?
- The benefits of 3D printing.
- The major technological changes since 1990.
- The negative effects of cellphones.
- How to avoid computer viruses.
- The evolution of the internet.
- Computers through the decades.
- How airport biometrics systems work.
- Robots now and in the future.
- How satellites help communication.
- How a water plant operates.
- How watches work.
- The evolution of video games.
- How cellular phones work.
- The evolution of the iPhone.
- How to build a computer.
- How nuclear power works.
- How search engines work.
- How air pressure works.
- The best new technologies.
- The future of electric cars.
- How to practice cyber safety.
- A guide to different social media sites.
- How students can find great vacation bargains.
- The best cruise vacations.
- Famous parliament buildings
- How to test the quality of water when travelling.
- Interesting underground railroad systems in capital cities.
- Investigation shipwrecks at the bottom of the sea.
- The benefits of wind tunnels on transport.
- The discovery of the famous temples in the Maya culture.
- The influence of global warming on Alpine skiing.
- The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- The Wright Brother’s first flight.
- Totem poles and obelisks are symbols of unity, tradition and pride.
- What you need to know about the Principality of Andorra.
- Why is there a Titanic replica?
- Why the unsinkable and invincible Titanic sank.
- The benefits of break time for nursing mothers in the workplace.
- The prevalence of dangerous chemicals in the workplace.
- How to survive working in a restaurant.
- Why underwater welding is dangerous.
- How it is to work in the fast food industry.
- How to get a great internship.
- How to become a comedian.
- The most dangerous jobs.
- What are the fastest growing careers?
List of Informative Essay Topics
- Benefits of a college degree
- Crimes on college campuses
- Healthiest foods in the campus cafeteria
- How students can stay safe on a college campus
- How students can use eLibrary Curriculum Edition for research
- How to beat senioritis
- How to find cheap textbooks
- How to pick a major
- How to study for and pass a test
- Saving money as a college student
- The story of how your school was founded
- Ways of preventing college dropout
- Whether binge drinking is a problem on your college campus
- Your favorite club or organization on campus
- How to bake a cake
- How to knit a scarf
- How to organize a closet
- How to swing a golf club
- How to train your dog
Easy / Simple
- A genre of music
- America’s fastest growing cities
- Breeds of dogs
- How a computer works
- Interesting cultures
- Lesser known presidents
- Natural disasters
- How to choose a persuasive speech topic
- How to deliver a funny informative speech
- How to deliver a persuasive speech
- How to maintain audience attention during a speech
- How to win your audience with descriptive speech
- How to write a persuasive essay
- How to write an argumentative essay
- How to write an expository essay
- The difference between a thesis statement and a topic sentence
- An impressive world record
- Fun games to play at the beach.
- The history of ice cream
- The revolution of the selfie
- Ways different cultures celebrate Valentine’s Day
- What do people do when they win the lottery?
- What people don’t know about Disneyland
- What you can learn from grade K students
- What your horoscope means
- Why people get tattoos
- Everything you need to know about skinny jeans
- Funny St. Patrick’s Day parades
- How to be nice to people you don’t like
- How to cheat in poker
- How to look attentive when you’re actually not
- Things you can learn from your pet
See this page for a full list of Funny Informative Speech Topics.
- All about gluten
- Cause-and-effect relationship of air pollution
- Causes of cancer
- How caffeine works
- How stress affects your body
- How to make exercise a habit
- How to quit smoking
- Symptoms of Alzheimer Disease
- Symptoms of depression
- How to get rid of bad habits
- Best places for scuba diving
- Choosing your next book to read
- Peace lily care tips
- Professional baseball stadiums
- The history of your favorite sport
- Types of tropical fish
- Effects of global warming
- Exotic pets
- How to perform an attention-getting first dance at your wedding
- Near-death experiences
- Places to see in northern Nevada
- The biography of Clyde Tombaugh
- The history of a cliche marriage ritual
- What is your dog actually thinking?
- What your handwriting says about you
See this page for a full list of Informative Interesting Speech Topics.
- How to drive a stick-shift
- How to pay off your student loans in under 10 years
- How to succeed in multi-level marketing
- The process of buying a car
- Tips for being an effective networker
- Traveling the world for cheap
- Why people lie
- Fees and taxes for an electric car
- Minimum wage laws
- The history of drinking age rules
- What dogs are affected by breed specific legislation?
- Anti-trust crimes.
- Benefits of pleading guilty.
- Felony penalties for aggravated stalking.
See this page for a full list of Legal Speech Topics.
- A biography of your favorite celebrity
- All about your favorite author
- All about your favorite television show
- Former childhood stars
- History of your favorite product brand
- Instances where the movie is better than the book
- The Miss America pageant
- The pop art movement during the 20th century and the changes it brought about
- What makes a pop sensation
- Your favorite form of public broadcasting
- How to be a good friend
- How to choose your friends
- How to get along with your in-laws
- How to make a marriage work
- How to survive a blind date gone wrong
- The different types of friendships
- The history of online dating
Picking Your Topic
At first glance, an informative speech may seem like the simplest type of presentation. The basis of an informative speech is to introduce a topic to the audience and then describe or explain it. It sounds fairly straightforward, but special care must be given to selecting a topic or the entire speech may not be well received.
Informative speeches can easily become boring for an audience for several reasons. First, the speaker should be sure not to present a topic which is already well known, or the audience will quickly lose interest. The topic should be something the audience has never encountered, or at least include new and exciting information on a familiar topic. Speakers should remember, when preparing the speech, that their own level of interest will become apparent during delivery of the presentation. In other words, if the speaker is bored by the topic, the audience will feel bored as well.
Knowing the audience is a primary factor in choosing an informative speech topic. The speaker should consider the age, knowledge level, subculture, and other demographics of his listeners when preparing the speech. It is important to present information which is neither too elementary nor too difficult for the audience to comprehend. The chosen topic should reflect the interests of the audience, and should be intriguing to them without rehashing information they already know. For example, college students may be interested in a topic on alcohol use, but they are already very familiar with a topic like the dangers of drinking and driving. In this case the speaker might concentrate his topic on the health benefits of red wine. This way, he has chosen a topic which interests the audience, but is likely to present new information which will not bore his listeners.
Finally, speakers should consider time limits when choosing an informative speech topic. A topic should be covered thoroughly enough that the audience feels as if most of their questions on the topic have been answered. On the other hand, a tight time restriction may prevent the speaker from adequately covering a very intricate topic. When time is limited, a subject which requires lengthy explanation should be avoided. The audience should leave an informative speech feeling as if they’ve gained new insight on a topic. It is good if they are interested in doing their own research to learn more about the subject, but they should never leave the presentation feeling confused or unclear about what they have just heard.
Informative Speech Idea In 5 Steps
Make a short list of your personal interests and informative speech topic ideas. To help you determine your interests on an informative speech topic, think about your favorite objects, products, people, animals, events, places, processes, procedures, concepts, policies, theories, and so on. Answer these important questions:
- Is there something you love to talk about, always have wanted to research?
- What interests you very much, or do you like or love at first glance?
- Do you have developed special skills in personal or professional life?
- What interesting informative topics do you know a lot of or want to know more about?
- What are some personal or professional experiences and skills in certain situations related to your favorite subjects?
- Can you reveal hidden secrets, new perspectives or insights on some topics?
Determine the interests and needs of your audience. What do they want to learn? Can you teach them on a subject you like?
Review the short list of your interests and make a decision. Choose the informative speech topic that is also interesting to your audience. Take care of their interests, questions and needs.
Research just one new single aspect of that informative speech idea. Look for valuable or amazing information that surprises your listeners. Fresh data, facts, intelligence, and advice will catch their attention immediately! To help you researching: look for new facts, figures, stories, statistics, surveys, personal experiences, professional experiences, quotations, comparisons and contrasts.
Demonstrate steps, stages, pros and cons, and remarkable effects by the use of public speaking software or other visual aids, that display the material you want them to be understood or remembered.